Home Land Maverick Distilling Simply Launched an Agave Spirit – Robb Report

Maverick Distilling Simply Launched an Agave Spirit – Robb Report

24
0


Texas distillery Maverick Distilling simply introduced its newest launch, an agave spirit made within the Lone Star State. Whereas this new spirit is similar to tequila, it can’t legally known as that—as a substitute this expression falls into the comparatively new American class of “agave spirits.”

The TTB, the group charged with regulating alcohol within the U.S., designated the agave spirits class in 2020. Whereas tequila and mezcal are legally acknowledged as distinctive merchandise of Mexico, the agave spirits class refers to any spirit constructed from a mashbill of not less than 51 % agave and bottled at a minimal of 80 proof. The remaining 49 % might be fermented sugars (basically a mixto), the spirit might be barrel aged, and flavoring and coloring are each allowed to be added.

Maverick Distilling, which claims to be the primary American distillery to be authorised for the agave spirits class, has been making them since 2020. The most recent launch is known as Samuel Maverick Tricentennial Version Agave Reposado, a limited-edition agave spirit that was launched to coincide with Texas Independence Day on March 2. It’s constructed from one hundred pc blue agave nectar that’s fermented and distilled in each column and pot stills. It was then aged in barrels beforehand used to mature Maverick Whiskey for a complete of two years and two months. That will be thought-about an anejo expression on this planet of tequila (aged between one and three years), however Maverick has labeled this a reposado. We didn’t get to pattern this launch, however official tasting notes describe apple blossom, peach, prickly pear, caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove on the palate.

The American agave spirits class remains to be small however continues to slowly develop, particularly in California and the Southwest. St. George Spirits, situated within the Bay Space, has been experimenting with one thing it calls Mezcalifornia for a number of years now. Different Golden State distilleries making agave spirits embody Shelter Distilling and Drift Distillery. In Texas, you could find Blasfemus from Ancestral Crafts Spirits and an agave spirit from Bendt Distilling Co. And three Rivers Brewery distills Tierra Del Encanto, a New Mexican agave spirit. These are all tiny in comparison with the juggernaut that tequila has turn out to be, however who is aware of what the long run holds (and whether or not any celebrities will leap into this class).

Samuel Maverick Tricentennial Version Agave Reposado is a really small launch, with a run of simply 185 bottles which can be obtainable on the San Antonio distillery for $75. For those who’re thinking about making an attempt among the different spirits from Maverick, the bourbon is obtainable to buy from web sites like Complete Wine.





Supply hyperlink

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here